From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Eric Blake
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 2:04 PM
To: Maloney, Michael; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: echo $?

> C:\>sh -i
> sh-3.00$ PS1="$ "
>
> I also noticed in version 1.5.17 that when executing the shell, the
> default prompt changed from "$ " to "sh-3.00$ ".

It wasn't the cygwin upgrade, but the bash upgrade that changed
your prompt.  /bin/sh used to be ash, which defaults to PS1 of '$ ',
but is now bash, which defaults to PS1 of '\s-\v\$ '.

> I expect the prompt in my script after a command is issued. It just
> indicated that the command has been sent and then I can move on to the
> next command. Obviously now, it get's stuck in the middle.
>
> Hint - following these directions will help us know more about your
> setup, to see if anything obvious jumps out with your installed
> versions.  As it is, your uname output mentions cygwin-1.5.17,
although
> 1.5.18 is the latest, so you probably have several out-of-date
packages.

> I'll download the latest if you think it would help.

Well, bash-3.0-7 has a known display bug, and bash-3.0-8 requires
cygwin-1.5.18 or newer, so it might help.  But your cygcheck.out
shows some other problems.  First, in Windows, you have SHELL
defined as c:\MKS\mksnt\sh.exe, which is NOT the cygwin shell,
and may be interfering (although the path search only found
c:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe, which is good).  Second, you show
ash-20040127-1 and bash-2.05b-17, even though your earlier
report of the changed prompt would imply that you really have
ash-20040127-3 and bash-3.0-7 or newer; I have no idea what
is really going on, or if you even attached the correct cygcheck.

--
Eric Blake