OT: seeking opinions

I'm moving from a very technical slot to a unix manager slot.
I have done the tech thing for so long I know how to find answers
and put solutions together to make things work. I'm seeking everyone's
opinion on getting a laptop for this new slot. The laptop would
run windoze (must communication with the rest of the company) and
is for the purpose of tracking documents, proposals, notes, tasks,
ideas, schedules. Also for preparing all of the above things. Oh,
and taking notes in meetings, etc. I would also use it to search
through the documents for things. I think I would rather use a
wiki than word :(, but must still communicate with the rest of
the company.

I would also load all of cygwin on it so I still have my dev tools
that I am most comfortable with, and so I can reach the unix
servers.

It would have wireless so I can move about the house, to the library,
etc., to get things done.

Does this make sense what I'm trying to achieve?
Is a laptop reasonable for this (though expensive, ~$900 USD),
or should I keep with my desktops at home and work?

Mike