Re: suggestions for cygwin developers

On 7/27/05, Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Alex Goldman wrote:
>
> > When Cygwin gets set up, it would be more user-friendly if it placed
> > two icons on the desktop:
> > one should start maximized Rxvt; another should start X with a couple
> > of xterms or whatever.
> > First-time users might think that the MS-DOS terminal is as good as it
> > gets, and this is not good for Cygwin. Others still have to figure out
> > how to start Rxvt automatically and how to configure it to look
> > pretty.
>
> This doesn't have to be done at the level of the Cygwin setup.  You could
> easily write a package (or a set of packages) that would place such icons
> on the desktop (see, for example, the gold-star-winning "chere" package).
>
> > Also, it would be neat to be able to keep Cygwin up-to-date automatically.
>
> Just run setup.exe regularly, and it will pick up the latest packages.  Of
> course, you may need to reboot if you do this concurrently with using
> Cygwin processes, so this will need to be thought through very well.
>
> The main point is: Cygwin is a volunteer effort.  If you feel that some
> feature would be beneficial, consider contributing it.  If it's done well,
> others will like it, and it could be included into the official set of
> packages.  Simply suggesting a feature rarely results in it being
> contributed by someone else.
>         Igor

As Tyler Durden said, "You decide your own level of involvement".  My
commitment to Cygwin is not great enough to contribute to it. I just
started using it. Tomorrow, I might decide I prefer FreeBSD and VMWare
or Windows Services. Anyway, if user feedback is not appreciated, none
will be forthcoming.