Re: ssh session can't see share permissions; Pierre's /etc/group edit, WORKED..

Pierre:

On Tue 7/26/05 17:26 EDT "Pierre A. Humblet" wrote:
<snip>
> I don't follow exactly what you did, but you must make sure (show us !)
> that "id" when you are logged in at the console reports exactly the same groups
> as when you are logged in under ssh.
>
> If there are fewer groups under ssh, there are actually two ways to make
> the outputs match:
> 1) edit /etc/group and add the username at the end of the line of the missing group
> 2) edit /etc/group and completely delete the line with the missing group
> I prefer solution 1, in the interest of not hiding info.

To be safe I ran 'mkgroup -l -d >/etc/group' (no errors;2564 lines).
I still had membership in 1 more group when I ran 'id' at the console,
than in an ssh session.

I used soln 1 above and it worked fine (so did soln 2), all my original
problems are solved (the minor [and last/3rd] one in the 1st post was my fault).

Both solutions resulted in matching group membership between a console session
and an ssh session; and I could write to the network drive and display the
network share DACL from the ssh session just fine (I used setacl).

Remaining mystery/curiousity:

  The extra group listed in the console bash session is strange.
  I'm not aware of the groups purpose, and would guess (I do not really know)
  that the user is not really in it.  Can I trust that the 'id'
  command in the console session is correct? "net USERNAMEHERE /domain"
  does not list this group.

<snip>

--
thanks again!,