Re: rebaseall failure?

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Doug Philips wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 27, 2005, at 04:50PM, Jason Tishler indited:
>
> >> Then I went looking, and what happens just before rebase is called?
> >> zcat and egrep are called.
> >> zcat is a link to gzip which is a .exe file.
> >> egrep, however, is a shell script
> >> $ cd /usr/bin
> >> $ cat egrep
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >> exec grep -E ${1+"$@"}
> >> $
> >
> >The above is causing the problem.  Why is egrep a shell script on your
> >system?  It should be a symlink:
> >
> >    $ ls -l /usr/bin/egrep
> >    lrwxrwxrwx    1 jtishler Users           4 Mar 29  2004 /usr/bin/egrep -> grep
> >
> >Either restored the symlink or change the trigger line to:
> >
> >    #!/bin/ash
>
> Huh?
>
> $ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/egrep
> grep-2.5.1a-2
>
> PhilipsD@PGH-philipsd-01 ~
> $ cygcheck -cv grep
> Cygwin Package Information
> Last downloaded files to: C:\Documents and Settings\Changeme\Desktop
> Last downloaded files from:
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin
>
> Package              Version        Status
> grep                 2.5.1a-2       OK
>
> $
>
> Doesn't look like anything is wrong, yet it is still a script on my
> system. I've also tried using setup.exe to reinstall grep, but egrep is
> still a script. Is this a bug in setup, the grep package, cygcheck, or
> ???

No bug.  It *is* a script (at least in binary tarball of grep).  I don't
know where Jason's symlink came from.

Jason, is your "grep" package up-to-date?

That said, however, don't rely on "cygcheck -c" to be very accurate.  It
only checks for missing files, and doesn't look at the content.  So, if
the tarball contained a script but your system had a symlink (like Jason's
does), cygcheck would not report an error.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu