Re: Cygwin command line installation

Another attempt with a changed subject (this really *does* belong on the
main list).

Karthik,

Reposting the same question every 24 hours will not get you closer to the
answer.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Rajagopalan, Karthik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a question about Cygwin-XFree86 installation.

To dispell a myth, there is no such thing as a separate XFree86
installation.  There is a Cygwin installer, named setup.exe, which can be
used to install *any* Cygwin packages, including the Cygwin/X ones.

Which, BTW, makes this question less appropriate for the cygwin-xfree
list, and more appropriate for the main Cygwin list, which is where I'm
redirecting this reply.  Please remove cygwin-xfree from further
discussion unless it comes to Cygwin/X-specific points.

> I am trying to install XFree86 from command line in silent mode without
> any user interface.

Another note: the Cygwin/X implementation has switched from the XFree86
codebase to the X.org codebase a long while ago.  I suspect you want to
install the current versions of the X packages.  Calling them XFree86 is
likely to result in confusion.

> But on using the command structure
>
> setup.exe -L -R "c:\test\xfree86" -q -l "c:\cygwin" -n -5
>
> I am seeing the progress bar dialog. Is it not possible to install
> completely in silent mode?

No, it is currently not possible.  The Cygwin installer is a graphical
application.  You can run it in unattended mode, but you cannot tell it to
not create a Window.

That said, there may be other tools that allow opening a GUI application
without a window.  You could use one of those tools to invoke setup.exe,
which will hide the main window.  Before you ask, I'm not aware of any
Cygwin tools that would do this.  I'd suggest checking the MS Knowledge
Base.

HTH,
	Igor
--