Re: mc 4.6.1 - background not working

Hello,

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>
> >>Why is background disabled? And why ncurses instead of S-Lang?
> >
> > Because using the subshell  leaves stale subshell processes and each
> > time I start to debug this problem I get nowhere due to lack of time.
>
> I didn't notice this problem. Are you sure it's still there?

Yes. I've just verified it - MC from ssh session to Cygwin machine and
MC from withing rxvt (non-X) both leave stale shells.

> > The problem is pretty complex. Hopefully I'll find the time to find a
> > solution for it.
> > And btw you are wrong - the MC package has subshell
> > support but it is disabled by default. Try `mc --help' .
>
> Really? My mc configured with --prefix=/usr doesn't agree with that and
> subshell works.

I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. I was speaking about
the offical Cygwin package for MC.

$ mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
With builtin Editor
Using the ncurses library
With optional subshell support <----
With mouse support on xterm
With support for X11 events

You can start the official mc like `mc -U' and you'll have subshell if you
want. It is off by default but it is compiled in.