Re: Name of the Cygwin setup program (was Re: Is the Cygwin installation process ...)

Ehud Karni wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:29:28 -0500, Herb Martin wrote:
Larry Hall (LH) wrote:

- Name of setup utility: setup.exe

I doubt this will change. It was chosen ages ago in the hopes that it would be a well understood name for the Windows crowd. So far, there's been no real complaint about the name and, better yet, no indication that someone can't install because they can't figure out what executable to run. I'd say the name 'setup.exe' is here to stay.

There are much better choices however -- many people will store such downloads in a generic download directory and having no mention of the actual program/system name in the file is a nuisance (understandable, but a nuisance.)

And of course one can name the download something else when
saving it, but then it is difficult to tell on the next
update if you have the "same file/different version" already.

cygwin.exe or cygwinsetup.exe would both be better names.

I also think that `setup.exe' is a bad name. `cygwin.exe' is no good. `cygwinsetup' or `cygwin-setup' is good descriptive name. I suggest to add the version to the name (e.g. cygwin-setup-2.457.2.2.exe), so people reporting bugs will automatically include the version number.

A valid point.

I've been privately calling it "cygsetup" for a long time.

Max.