Name of the Cygwin setup program (was Re: Is the Cygwin installation process ...)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:29:28 -0500, Herb Martin wrote:
> Larry Hall (LH) wrote:
>
> LH> >  - Name of setup utility: setup.exe
> LH>
> LH> I doubt this will change.  It was chosen ages ago in the
> LH> hopes that it would be a well understood name for the Windows
> LH> crowd.  So far, there's been no real complaint about the name
> LH> and, better yet, no indication that someone can't install
> LH> because they can't figure out what executable to run.  I'd
> LH> say the name 'setup.exe' is here to stay.
>
> There are much better choices however -- many people will
> store such downloads in a generic download directory and
> having no mention of the actual program/system name in the
> file is a nuisance (understandable, but a nuisance.)
>
> And of course one can name the download something else when
> saving it, but then it is difficult to tell on the next
> update if you have the "same file/different version" already.
>
> cygwin.exe or cygwinsetup.exe would both be better names.

I also think that `setup.exe' is a bad name. `cygwin.exe' is no good.
`cygwinsetup' or `cygwin-setup' is good descriptive name. I suggest
to add the version to the name (e.g. cygwin-setup-2.457.2.2.exe), so
people reporting bugs will automatically include the version number.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign