Re: [perl-5.8.7] Perl regression tests fail when lib directory is present

Hello,

As the original instigator of this thread, maybe I can help continue its usefulness. I think the current consensus is as follows:

    * This all has nothing at all to do with with ExtUtils::MakeMaker
      (so I have removed that list from the Cc list).

    * There is nothing intrinsically wrong with what Test::Harness is
      doing, although its recent change (in version 2.44) was what
      triggered the Perl/Cygwin bug we have discovered.

    * We have a current workaround for the Test::Harness breakage
      (roll back Test::Harness to 2.42, or edit Test::Harness::Straps
      to change the "local $ENV{PERL5LIB}" to something like
      "local $ENV{PERL5LIB} = ''".

    * For at least Perl 5.8.7 on Cygwin, delete()ing an environment
      variable does not apparently remove that variable from the
      environment of a subprocess. Scott Bolte provided a repro case:

                #!/usr/bin/perl
                use strict;
                use warnings;

                $ENV{SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN} = "hello world";
                delete($ENV{SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN});
                system("printenv | grep SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN");

      On Unix systems this script appropriately prints nothing.
      On an up to date Cygwin installation this prints "hello world".

So I think the next step is to figure out who can help look at that latter problem. Is there a bug I or someone else should file somewhere?

Humbly,

Andrew