Re: Is the Cygwin installation process likely to change significantly anytime soon?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 02:17:40PM +0100, Cliff Hones wrote:
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Cliff Hones wrote:
>
> > That said, the latest release version of setup.exe is encoded in setup.ini
> > on any up-to-date mirror.  Simply run your old copy, and it'll warn you if
> > a newer version of setup.exe is available -- no need for the download
> > dance.
>
> Agreed, but you have to go through the rigmarole of several mouse clicks
> to get that far.

Personally, I like a setup name that doesn't change at every version.
I can just press Win-R, start typing cygw..., explorer completes to
"http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe"; and off I go.

Keeping a up-to-date link from "setup.exe" to "setup.1.2.3.4.exe" would
work well but it would probably be a burden to the maintainer.

Mind you, changing the name once to "cygwin-setup" or "setup-cygwin"
would be nice.

JST