Re: Is the Cygwin installation process likely to change significantly anytime soon?

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Cliff Hones wrote:
>

>>Doesn't help you tell which version of setup.exe you have, though.
>>[snip]
>>The Cygwin home page prominently displays the latest Cygwin DLL version.
>>Could it not also display the latest setup.exe version
>
> That would be a good idea, IMO.
>
>>and also a link to the setup.exe snapshots?
>
> And this wouldn't.  It doesn't link to the Cygwin DLL snapshots for the
> same reason ...

</pantomime on>
Oh yes it does.
[See the "Snapshots" link under "Contributing" in the left panel.]
</pantomime off>

>> -- those aren't ready for most people to try.  People who are
> willing to try the latest snapshot version, warts and all, and are
> prepared to properly report bugs can easily Google for "cygwin setup
> snapshots" and get there.

Well, for a while the holding directory was nom-browseable, so you had to
know the full name of the snapshot you wanted - but I guess that was unintentional.

> That said, the latest release version of setup.exe is encoded in setup.ini
> on any up-to-date mirror.  Simply run your old copy, and it'll warn you if
> a newer version of setup.exe is available -- no need for the download
> dance.

Agreed, but you have to go through the rigmarole of several mouse clicks
to get that far.

-- Cliff