RE: Is the Cygwin installation process likely to change significantly anytime soon?

> >  - Name of setup utility: setup.exe
>

> I doubt this will change.  It was chosen ages ago in the
> hopes that it would be a well understood name for the Windows
> crowd.  So far, there's been no real complaint about the name
> and, better yet, no indication that someone can't install
> because they can't figure out what executable to run.  I'd
> say the name 'setup.exe' is here to stay.

There are much better choices however -- many people will
store such downloads in a generic download directory and
having no mention of the actual program/system name in the
file is a nuisance (understandable, but a nuisance.)

And of course one can name the download something else when
saving it, but then it is difficult to tell on the next
update if you have the "same file/different version" already.

cygwin.exe or cygwinsetup.exe would both be better names.

cygwin.msi might have advantages but that is far more than
a "simple name change" <grin>

The setup is very confusing for Windows users, especially
on re-install.

And it is difficult to figure out how to get "just one
package" and avoid the whole 'setup.exe' issue -- most
online docs send the user back to setup.exe when frequently
all we want is one specific package.

Not a big deal, but noticable; especially for the beginner
to Cygwin.

More users who thing Cygwin is cool and easy would be a GOOD
THING.

Herb Martin, MCT, MCSD, MCSE, MVP
HerbM@LearnQuick.Com http://LearnQuick.Com
512 388 7339   -or-   1 800 MCSE PRO