Re: Download Incomplete. Try again?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Luke Kendall wrote:

> I'm currently trying to find out why a recent copy of a cygwin mirror
> causes the "Download Incomplete.  Try again?" error in setup.exe.  The
> md5 checksums on each file within the download is good (we check them
> against the md5.sum file in each package directory).  But still we get
> the above error.
>
> Is there a way to test if a downloaded cygwin will cause the "Download
> Incomplete.  Try again?" error, except by running setup.exe?

Yes, there is.  There is no magic in setup.exe (well, not much, in any
case).  Check the filenames, file sizes and md5sums against setup.ini, not
the md5.sum files.

> By looking through the mailing list archives, I got the impression that
> this happened when the setup.ini file got out of sync with the
> collection of packages - but Christopher explained that setup.ini only
> gets updated occasionally.

Exactly.

> And I can confirm that: many of the package versions in setup.ini don't
> match the versions of the packages present, even in stable and
> installable cygwin mirrors.
>
> Is that because setup.ini gets updated manually?

Probably yes.  If the mirroring process catches the main Cygwin repository
in a state where a package is uploaded, but setup.ini hasn't been updated,
the repository will be in an inconsistent state.

> Would you like me to try to design an easy system to regenerate it
> automatically when packages are updated?  (I'm imagining a tree of
> per-package description parts which change infrequently, and a script
> which adds the file size and md5 sig automatically.  Perhaps it should
> even be a Makefile.)

Eh?  There's more to it than that -- setup.ini also has versions, etc.

> [snip email about setup.ini size/md5sum mismatch (with raw e-mail
> addresses, I might add)]
>
> But is that the cause of the problem?

Yes.

> If not, does anyone know what the real problem is?
>
> If the only way is by running setup.exe, is that unlikely to damage an
> older, working Cygwin install?

If you run setup in download mode, you will not affect the existing
install.
HTH,
	Igor
--