Download Incomplete. Try again?

I'm currently trying to find out why a recent copy of a cygwin mirror
causes the "Download Incomplete.  Try again?" error in setup.exe.  The
md5 checksums on each file within the download is good (we check them
against the md5.sum file in each package directory).  But still we get
the above error.

Is there a way to test if a downloaded cygwin will cause the "Download
Incomplete.  Try again?" error, except by running setup.exe?

By looking through the mailing list archives, I got the impression that
this happened when the setup.ini file got out of sync with the
collection of packages - but Christopher explained that setup.ini only
gets updated occasionally.

And I can confirm that: many of the package versions in setup.ini don't
match the versions of the packages present, even in stable and
installable cygwin mirrors.

Is that because setup.ini gets updated manually?  Would you like me to
try to design an easy system to regenerate it automatically when
packages are updated?  (I'm imagining a tree of per-package description
parts which change infrequently, and a script which adds the file size
and md5 sig automatically.  Perhaps it should even be a Makefile.)

I'm thinking of this email from the Cygwin-xfree list:

>          From: Harold L Hunt II
>       Subject: Re: Trouble with DDD download via cygwin setup
>          Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:53:35 -0500
>            To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>
> Thanks Ton.  I fixed it by uploading the slightly updated binary file
> that I had created.
>
> Harold
>
> Ton van Overbeek wrote:
>
> > I found out what the problem is trying to download ddd via Cygwin setup:
> > the filesize and md5sum given in setup.ini for ddd-3.3.8-1.tar.bz2
> > do not match.
> >
> > In setup.ini: size 1435787, md5sum f3244afe271984c1fc1855203cb92300
> > After manual download:
> >               size 1435585, md5sum 86cc2b9dff9a4f794dfc6bbe49bf2bbc
> >
> > Hence the download incomplete, try again? message in setup.
> > Harold, could you please fix your setup.ini, so ddd can be downloaded
> > via setup?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Ton van Overbeek

But is that the cause of the problem?  If not, does anyone know what
the real problem is?

If the only way is by running setup.exe, is that unlikely to damage an
older, working Cygwin install?

luke