RE: 1.5.18: I give up...

cygwin-owner@cygwin.com <mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com> scribbled on :

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:39:40PM -0700, David Masterson wrote:
>> *	After installing everything, if I couldn't get X to work properly
>> (see below), I would immediately use setup.exe to uninstall
>> everything. While doing the uninstall of some packages, setup.exe
>> would report missing DLL(s), but it didn't give an indication of
>> what to do about it (other than acknowledge the error).

> A known problem.  But, then so is the mind set of "uninstall
> everything and try again".  The first is fixable at least.

Understandable.  The presumption that I made is that a clean installation
should work, therefore my installation must not have been clean, so let's
clean everything up and try again.  Since I was just trying to quickly get it
to work, this method was preferrable to the step by step install of how many
tens of applications.

I guess the DLL problem is an ordering issue in that way setup.exe uninstalls
everything...?

>> *	After I installed everything and had modified my /etc/passwd and
>> /etc/group, I tried to bring up the X server via
>> /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh. It brought up the X server and tried to
>> bring up the xterm, but the xterm died before it finished printing
>> my prompt.  I've posted about this before, but no replies to this
>> and I haven't got the time to do the serious debugging necessary.
>
> If you've posted X problems to the general Cygwin mailing list, I
> wouldn't expect much in the way of replies.

I've posted to both cygwin and cygwin-xfree.  I'm not blaming anyone for not
answering -- I'm just reporting the information that I have at the moment in
the hopes it will help.

>> I guess I'll give Cygwin some time to "mature" and come back to it
>> in the future.
>
> Ok.  The thousands of people who are using Cygwin and X on Cygwin will
> be right here waiting for you.

You cut some of what I said at the beginning of the message.  Again, I'm not
trying to suggest that Cygwin is immature -- I've used it before and will
probably use it again.  Magic often happens in later versions of software and
perhaps my problems will go away in the future (either because of changes in
Cygwin or changes in my local environment).

----
David Masterson