Re: 1.5.18: I give up...

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:39:40PM -0700, David Masterson wrote:
>*	When looking at the categorized list of things to select to install,
>I would expand a category by clicking on the "+".  Most systems would change
>the "+" to a "-", but not setup.exe (a very minor issue).

This is fixed in the lastest setup snapshot.

>*	After installing everything, if I couldn't get X to work properly
>(see below), I would immediately use setup.exe to uninstall everything.
>While doing the uninstall of some packages, setup.exe would report missing
>DLL(s), but it didn't give an indication of what to do about it (other than
>acknowledge the error).

A known problem.  But, then so is the mind set of "uninstall everything and
try again".  The first is fixable at least.

>*	After I installed everything and had modified my /etc/passwd and
>/etc/group, I tried to bring up the X server via /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh.
>It brought up the X server and tried to bring up the xterm, but the xterm
>died before it finished printing my prompt.  I've posted about this before,
>but no replies to this and I haven't got the time to do the serious debugging
>necessary.

If you've posted X problems to the general Cygwin mailing list, I wouldn't
expect much in the way of replies.

>*	Previously with 1.5.17, the xterm did come up properly, but Emacs
>(started locally or remotely) would immediately fail.  XEmacs (started
>locally or remotely) would seem to work until you tried to exit and then
>would crash.
>
>I guess I'll give Cygwin some time to "mature" and come back to it in the
>future.

Ok.  The thousands of people who are using Cygwin and X on Cygwin will
be right here waiting for you.

cgf