sshd wouldn't start as a Windows service

HallÃchen!

I can start sshd directly with

    /usr/sbin/sshd -D

which works fine.  However, I want it to be a real service, so I
called

cygrunsrv -S sshd

This results in a Windows timeout error #1053:

$ cygrunsrv.exe -S sshd
cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
The service didn't reply in time to the start or control request.

What can I do about it?

This is what I had done:

I wiped out my old Cygwin installation in Win2k and installed the
latest version I could find.  Included was OpenSSH_4.1p1.

>From my old installation, there still is the global environment
variable CYGWIN="ntsec tty".  I called ssh-host-config, but copied
my old config files over the new ones.  I use the defaults but
disable root login and password authentication.  All ssh-related
files in /etc/ have my (admin) account as owner, and their
priviledges are set correctly.  Priviledge separation is off.