Re: Howto install gcc 2.x on Cygwin

Gordon Cichon wrote:

> is there a way to install gcc 2.x on a current Cygwin installation? Is
> there a binary package to download?
>
> Best would be an installation alongside with the gcc 3 that comes with
> the current version. Is this compiler switch '-V' good for anything? The
> transistion from gcc 2 to gcc 3 would be one of the rare occastions in
> which I would like to actually have several versions of gcc installed at
> the same time.

I believe this is covered in the FAQ.  There used to be gcc2 packages
that played nicely with gcc version 3 (invoked as "gcc2" and so on.)
But at some point it was shown that the gcc 2.95 codebase was seriously
broken under Cygwin and there was no interest from the maintainer (cgf)
in finding out why or how or continuing to maintain the packages, so
they were removed.  If you google you can still find out of date mirrors
that have the old binary packages though.  Or use the Cygwin time
machine.  And a recent thread even touched on this, so search the
archives.

But however you find the packages, remember that there is a good chance
that they will produce buggy or broken code, and that this list will not
be able to help you with any questions about how to fix it since those
packages are not supported any more for precisely that reason.

Brian