Re: How does one set aliases for Cygwin for XP Prof Windows? - Still doesn't work!

top -posted : reformatted

-----Original Message----- From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Ken Dibble Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 3:02 PM To: cygwin Subject: Re: How does one set aliases for Cygwin for XP Prof Windows?

Patrick Sullivan wrote:

Hi,

I looked around and couldn't find out (from user guide or FAQs) how to
set my own alias settings for Cygwin.

I have Cywin installed on my PC (running Windows XP Professional).
There has to be a file somewhere, where I can add the alias settings,
but I am not sure where it is.  Does anyone know where the file is for
putting personal alias settings?

If you are talking about aliases within the bash shell, setting them in ~/.bashrc is a place used by many.

Regards,
Ken

Patrick Sullivan wrote:

Ken,

It still doesn't work after putting the aliases in ~/.bashrc  )-:
I also tried putting them in ~/profile.ksh but it didn't work either.
I did this one time, and there was a file in a certain location where I
added them to, but I don't remember where it was...

I tried putting them in as follows:

alias ll='ls -l'
alias h='history'
alias main='cd /cygdrive/c/depot/source/main'
alias ob2='cd /cygdrive/c/depot/Projects/ob2'
alias depot='cd /cygdrive/c/depot'

Thanks,

Pat//

You .bash_profile should look like: --- # ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash for login shells.

if [ -e /etc/bash.bashrc ] ; then
 source /etc/bash.bashrc
fi

if [ -e ~/.bashrc ] ; then
 source ~/.bashrc
fi
----
If  memory serves, this is the default .bash_profile.

This would make sure that .bashrc gets executed whether your shell is a login or not.

If this is indeed your .bash_profile, I would next check permissions on both files to make sure they
are executable.

I am assuming that your login shell is bash.

If it still doesn't work, what happens when you source these files from a command prompt?