Re: Cannot write files if they are hidden

At 02:21 PM 7/22/2005, you wrote:
>My opinion of this matter:
>
>Hidden should not imply read-only...  There are read-only and system attributes which can perform this feat.
>
>Why in the world Microsoft decided hidden should be read-only in some of the time (dos edit -- for those of us who've had to use it when necessary) is beyond me.
>
>If a file is hidden, it insinuates that an average user should not need access to the file.  By hiding it, under normal circumstances that circut is complete, one cannot edit what one cannot find.
>
>IMO the read-only flag should be the only one that implies read-only.  I conceed that there is logic to the system flag also impliing read-only.
>I don't see much logic in hidden implying read-only.  That implies confusion to a simple state of being.
>
>WordPad hidden-file save = access denied
>NotePad hidden-file save = file saved
>
>There is no logic in that...

I think it's fair to say that further discussion along the lines of whether
Windows is smart or stupid to implement the hidden file semantics as it
does is off-topic for this list.  Any further comments along these lines
should be taken to the cygwin-talk list (if they could conceivably be
linked to Cygwin in some way) or a Windows forum.

Holliston, MA 01746