Re: Ctrl-C not working as well as on Linux

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 06:06:39AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>According to Alex Goldman on 7/21/2005 2:49 AM:
>>On Linux, after I start a program that consumes 100% of CPU time, I can
>>usually terminate it just by typing Ctrl-C.  This is very convenient to
>>me as a developer.  However, using Cygwin in the same situation, the
>>shell becomes "bash (Not Responding)", and I have to invoke the process
>>manager and kill the process from there.  Does anyone know why this
>>happens and what can be done about it?
>
>What terminal are you using?  If it is the Windows console, then you
>need to have CYGWIN=tty in your environment before starting bash to
>ensure saner behavior of Ctrl-C (at the expense of possibly breaking
>Windows native applications in the same console).

?  CTRL-C should work just fine without CYGWIN=tty.  In fact, it should
work better than CYGWIN=tty in situations where system time is being
consumed by a runaway process.

I don't see any reason why either Cygwin or bash should become unresponsive
due to a program which consumes CPU.

>Hint - following the problem reporting directions would have helped us
>know right off whether you were using the Windows console:
>
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Right.  In this situation a test case and better description of the
problem is required, too.

cgf