Ctrl-C not working as well as on Linux

On Linux, after I start a program that consumes 100% of CPU time, I
can usually terminate it just by typing Ctrl-C. This is very
convenient to me as a developer. However, using Cygwin in the same
situation, the shell becomes "bash (Not Responding)", and I have to
invoke the process manager and kill the process from there. Does
anyone know why this happens and what can be done about it?