make 3.80 bug - running a program inside make

I have some makefiles that fail to work correctly.
They worked about 6 months ago with cygwin.
They work fine on mandrake 10.2.

Here is the first makefile problem:
In this makefile I run a program, i.e.

test_calls: ${BIN}calls
	rm -f calls.out
	pwd
	${BIN}calls calls.in > calls.out
	diff calls.out calls.gout

The output I get is rm -f calls.out pwd /cygdrive/u/j/jeff-util/test /cygdrive/u/j/bin/calls calls.in > calls.out The system cannot find the path specified. make: *** [test_calls] Error 1

I added the pwd line to make sure the directory exists.
When I remove the "> calls.out" in the makefile, the program runs, and
output is directed to standard output.

Here is the second makefile problem:

the_test:	test.o test_nr.o test_subrs.o jefflib
		g++ ${LDFLAGS} test.o test_nr.o test_subrs.o jefflib -lm -o the_test
		@echo running the tests
		./the_test > the_test.lo 2> the_test.er
#		the_test.exe > the_test.lo 2> the_test.er
		-diff the_test.log the_test.lo
		-diff the_test.erg the_test.er

The output I get in the_test.er is:
'.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

When I use the commented out line instead of the line before it, I get normal execution.

It seems that some semantics has changed in a non-obvious way with respect to
running programs inside of make.

Enclosed is the output of cygcheck.
When I run cygcheck as non-administrator, I get the following:

U:\j\jeff-lib>cygcheck  -s > x
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: Error enumerating services: OpenService:  Win32 error 5:
Access is denied.

Perhaps this is a known limitation of cygcheck?

	Thanks,
	Jeff Deifik