Re: MD5 checksum question

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:13:26AM +1000, Luke Kendall wrote:
>Does it matter that the top-level setup.ini (that duplicates the MD5
>checksums of each package's md5.sum file), does *not* do the same thing
>for the setup.hint file in each package directory?  I assume the
>duplication is to allow the detection of the race condition (mentioned
>below).
>
>I only noticed while updating my md5cygchk mirror-checker, to detect the
>case where all package md5.sum files are correct but the top-level
>setup.ini file is out of sync with the packages below.

Right.  setup.ini is only updated at regular intervals.  It doesn't
get updated on a continuous basis.  So, there will be times when
the md5sums (and version and sdesc and ldesc and tar ball) in setup.ini
do not match setup.hint.

>(This happens if you rsync a mirror site while the site is being
>updated.  It leads to the setup.exe error:
>"Download Incomplete.  Try again?")
>
>I'm assuming the lack of a setup.hint line in each package's entry in
>setup.ini doesn't matter.

The setup.hint file is what is implicitly placed into the setup.ini
file.  Somehow adding an md5sum for setup.hint into setup.ini doesn't
make any sense.  setup.hint isn't intended for use by anything other
than the process which constructs setup.ini.  There is no reason to
expose an external md5sum for setup.hint.