Re: man - broken pipe

Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> I get this error on my laptop and only since I've updated most packages few
> days ago. I don't get this on Linux boxes and on Windows box with Cygwin
> updated the last month.
>
> Hitting 'end' or '>' helps indeed. I wonder what makes the difference that
> now SIGPIPE is delivered and has visible effects.

I think it would depend on what packages you upgraded.  It could be that
the default buffer size somewhere has changed.  If it was quite large to
begin with, and then was reduced, you would see the error more often.  I
don't think the SIGPIPE behavior itself has changed, it has always been
the case that a writer to a broken pipe receives the signal.  But it can
be kind of racey if both the writer and reader are exiting.  Or, it
could be that bash 2.x supressed that message while bash 3.x doesn't.

Brian