Re: compiling flpsed under Cygwin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Hall" <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com>
To: "Ken Dibble" <kdibble@alltel.net>; "cygwin" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: compiling flpsed under Cygwin

At 10:27 PM 7/19/2005, you wrote:

Stephen P. Harris wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for an alternative to Adobe Writer Pro
and Adobe Acrobat Reader for annotating pdf or
ps files. I tried to compile flpsed and it failed maybe
due to the fltk dependency being unsatisfied with X11.
I am currently using xfree86 for the X server for the
Windows cygwin LyX version.
Has anyone made progress with compiling flpsed?
http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/ flpsed
see the annotation at bottom of the page on tiger.ps

Regards,
Stephen

I don't know exactly what you are saying and I can only guess since there is no cygcheck output attached
as per the reporting guidelines.
My WAG is that you either don't have fltk installed (flpsed claims to require > 1.1
and the cygwin version is 1.1.4) or that your makefile isn't pointing to it by its' correct name
and path.

And if Stephen is truly running xfree86 on Cygwin, he's several years out of date...

Well I installed LyX 1.3.1 before the current port to native Windows, LyX 1.3.6. So I used the recommendation found at the porter's website.

http://wwwserv1.rz.fh-hannover.de/mbau/tim/hentschel/lyx/#Prerequisites
X-Server
"Because LyX is a program designed to run on Unix it's GUI
(graphical user interface) is based on an X11 environment.
Therefore you need an X-Server on your system. There are many
commercial versions available for Win32 like Hummingbird's
Exceed or Starnet's XWin32.
A free X-server is available for CygWin, too. The project's
name is XFree86. LyX runs fine with that X-Server and it is
now easy to install if you follow the installation instructions
as well as reading the FAQ carefully."

SH: Claus also includes a startxwin.bat; so maybe I could
change it easily or maybe not, it it ain't broke don't fix it.
I like the white xterm box to do searches (which I think are
faster than Window's Search) because I can cut and paste.
I also use Cygwin Xemacs 21.4.17 and the Xemacs beta
produced by Fabrice Popineau which is native for Windows.
I never have a problem with the X server. If I want Linux
capability I can (dual) boot to FCC4 which works. So the
choice of X server is not at all critical. Once in awhile I
find an especially good utility like flpsed which I would like
to see work in the Windows (Cygwin) environement too.

I think fltk compiles and installs ok. The ./configure for
flpsed fails after finding fltk-config at the next two lines:

Checking for open in -lX11 ... no
Error LixXll.so not found [doesn't come with Cygwin]

I read the config.log and there are other reported problems.
But reading the archives suggests that cygwin-xfree is the
better mailing list for this problem, so I will move to there.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
Stephen