Re: access PocketPC filesystem from Cygwin

Ugh, top-posting.  Reformatted.

Also, please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set
it for a reason.  I do read the list, so there was no need to Cc: me.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Jason Dufair wrote:
> >
> >> Is it possible somehow to access the filesystem on the PocketPC that is
> >> attached to my PC?  By "access", I mean "cd to at a bash prompt".  I
> >> didn't find anything in the archives, and I dug around in /proc on a
> >> whim, but came up empty-handed.
> >
> > Is there a way to cd to it from a cmd prompt?  If so, use the same
> > directory/drive at the bash prompt (with appropriate POSIXification, e.g.,
> > use /cygdrive/e for e:).  Otherwise, you're out of luck, as Cygwin doesn't
> > actually provide filesystem drivers -- it uses whatever filesystems the
> > underlying Windows can access.
> > 	Igor
>
> Thanks Igor.  It appears that there is no way to access it from a cmd
> prompt.  There appear to be various Windows APIs to copy files to/from,
> etc, but no direct filesystem access.

Well, if you're familiar with these APIs, and are in the programming mood,
you could try adding a virtual filesystem that implements directory and
file access routines using the APIs above (as is done in /proc,
/proc/registry, etc).  If this works and you have a copyright assignment,
you could submit the code for inclusion into the Cygwin DLL.

Alternatively, it might be nice to develop a way of adding extra DLLs for
virtual filesystems (akin to kernel modules in Linux) -- don't know how
much work this will require, but it's possible that the autoload
functionality already allows this to some extent (though I suspect some
modifications will still be needed to dtable.cc and devices.in).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu