Re: tcl and java on cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
[snip]
> You'll have to be a bit more specific than that.  You can always, for
> example, pipe the data to a Java program from a Tcl program, and vice
> versa.

I strongly agree with this point, you can do many things with Sun/Windows/GNU
java but we don't know what specifically is requested.

[snip]
>>For java i've seen that cygwin uses the java installed
>>in windows outside cygwin, is this normal?

Yes it's normal but you have GNU java as an option.

> Yes, normal and expected.  There is no open-source JVM ported to Cygwin,
> AFAIK.  You could use the Java wrapper scripts in the cygwin-apps CVS to
> get some of the look-and-feel of Linux java from the command line (POSIX
> classpaths and whatnot), but underneath it's still the good ol' Windows
> JDK/JRE.

No, there is gcj in Cygwin's packages.  Gcj includes the compiler, interpreter,
libraries... just about everything you need with the exception, on Windows, of
awt (but the guys from Mingw do have an implementation of swt).

HTH
--
René Berber