Re: tcl and java on cygwin

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, community help wrote:

> I want to be able exchange data between tcl and java
> in an application that i am developping under cygwin.

You'll have to be a bit more specific than that.  You can always, for
example, pipe the data to a Java program from a Tcl program, and vice
versa.

> I found a tool allowing the interaction between java
> and tcl but this latter does not install under cygwin.

Details, please.  What does "does not install" mean.  You're not trying to
unpack a Linux binary RPM, for example, are you?  If you try compiling it
from source, what messages do you get?

> do you know of an other tool that can do the trick?

First you have to tell us what "the trick" is.

> For java i've seen that cygwin uses the java installed
> in windows outside cygwin, is this normal?

Yes, normal and expected.  There is no open-source JVM ported to Cygwin,
AFAIK.  You could use the Java wrapper scripts in the cygwin-apps CVS to
get some of the look-and-feel of Linux java from the command line (POSIX
classpaths and whatnot), but underneath it's still the good ol' Windows
JDK/JRE.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/