Re: ssh problems

On Jul 18, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 12:23 AM 7/18/2005, you wrote:
> >On Jul 17, Larry Hall wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> You'll need to change some permissions.  Try this:
> >>
> >> chown eli /etc/ssh*
> >> chown eli /var/log/sshd.log
> >>
> >> Then start the service:
> >>
> >> cygrunsrv --start sshd
> >>
> >> With any luck, that will run.  Note - I haven't tried this myself
> >> but it should be a pretty complete guide.  You'll be the final judge
> >> (and test) though. ;-)
> >
> >I followed all this, and ended up with:
> >
> >  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
> >  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
> >  The service did not start due to a logon failure.
> >
> >Following the advice at
> >  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg00909.html
> >I added my username to "Local Security Settings/User Rights
> >Assignment/Log on as a service".  After that I got a
> >
> >  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
> >  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
> >  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
> >
> >and now I can't even stop or remove it -- in both cases I get
> >
> >  $ cygrunsrv --remove sshd
> >  cygrunsrv: Error removing a service: ControlService:  Win32 error 1061:
> >  The service cannot accept control messages at this time.
>

> Yeah, that's true.  You can kill the outstanding cygrunsrv process though
> and that will take care of the problem though.
>
> Forgot two things.  First, your user must be a member of the local
> Administrators group.  Second, 'chown eli /var/empty'.  That should do
> it.  It did for me.

I did the additional chown, and my username is a mamber of the
administrators group, but I'm still getting the same error (1053).  Is
there any log file or something that will hint at the problem?  The
event viewer is not helping --

  The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be
  found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
  information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
  computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
  this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
  information is part of the event: sshd : PID 812 : starting service
  `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted.