Re: FW: v1.74 install F90 compiler

Javier Sacristan wrote:
I need to compile some codes wrote on F90, I have already installed
> on my PC, (wi-XPpro)  visual fortran 5.0, but  I do not know how to
> install  it  on Cygwin?

You can run Visual Fortran 5.0 under the Cygwin bash shell. (I have done this in the past; currently I run version 6.6.) The Visual Fortran installation program should have installed a file called DFVARS.BAT, which you are supposed to run in a Windows CMD shell to set up the environment variables needed for command-line operation. You need to set the same variables in your Cygwin environment. I suggest translating the commands in the batch file to bash commands manually. Here is what the resulting commands look like on my system

msdev='D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio'

  export MSDEVDIR=$msdev\\Common\\MSDEV98
  export TOOLSDIR=$msdev\\Common\\TOOLS

  export DFDIR=$msdev\\DF98
  export VCDIR=$msdev\\VC98

  export MSDEVDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$MSDEVDIR")
  export TOOLSDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$TOOLSDIR")
  export DFDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$DFDIR")
  export VCDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$VCDIR")

export PATH=$MSDEVDIR_UNIX/Bin:$DFDIR_UNIX/Bin:$VCDIR_UNIX/Bin:$TOOLSDIR_UNIX:$PATH

  export INCLUDE=$DFDIR\\Include';'$VCDIR\\Include
  export LIB=$DFDIR\\Lib';'$VCDIR\\Lib

export DF="/nologo /traceback"

(These are for version 6.6. The ones needed for version 5.0 will be slightly different. But this should help.)

Visual Fortran 5.0 is a bit long in the tooth, and there are some valid Fortran 90 constructs for which it either fails to compile or produces horrendously slow code.

I suggest you take a look at g95:

http://www.g95.org/

Use the "Cygwin x86 binary", not the self-extracting one.

PS: what does the v1.74 in the title refer to?

--
Mark Hadfield          "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz