verify login info on Windows

I am developing a server application that accepts logins from a client over a proprietary protocol.
I want to let clients login (username/password) before allowing anything else.
I want to let them use username/password information as it is stored in the regular system user database,
so I do not need to maintain another such database.
On Unix this would be /etc/passwd or /etc/shadoww and the associated libraray calls.

However, on my Cygwin box, the /etc/passwd (as created by mkpasswd) does not contain the password.
Instead the appropriate field reads unused_by_nt.
After googling along for a while I have understood that this is done so that the real login/security
info can be maintained by the regular windows system. Fine. But how do I get to it? I have not found
any example/explanation that answers this question:

given two const char* variables user and password, how can I find out if this combination is a
valid login on this current Windows/Cygwin box?

This might be a pute Windows issue (as oposed to Cygwin) ... however, with a Linux-only knowledge of system calls, I have no clue how to approach this anyways.
-> Any hints are appreciated. Thanks a lot.
;Henning

--
H. Henning Schmidt
email: henning@hhschmidt.de