Re: Bash/strtoimax error on setup

> Next time I should try to upgrade cygwin first, but it's a pain in the
> current version
> of setup.exe because it involves deselecting everything else manually.
>  (If there's a way
> to deselect everything at once, and leave it in a mode where you can
> actually select a
> program to upgrade, then I'd like to know about it, because it always
> seems to put setup
> into a mode where you can only reinstall, not upgrade.  But anyway...)

If cygwin is not being run, then there should be no problem updating
cygwin and other apps simultaneously.  Preremove scripts run before
the old version is uninstalled, so they should not fail.  But if you do
want separate installations, to be sure that cygwin is working before
other packages are upgraded, then yes, you really should do cygwin
first (cygwin strives for compatibility in only one direction - older apps
should run on newer cygwin; but newer apps that depend on newer
cygwin will not run on older cygwin).

As to the setup UI issue, when you have the package chooser window,
select the Keep radio button, then select just cygwin for the update,
and it will leave everything else at the current version even if there
are newer versions available.

> It was just a symbolic link, actually, but I've lost track of how .exe
> magic works with
> those, so I might just copy instead.  Or reinstall bash, as you suggest.

Symbolic links are okay if you only use /bin/sh from cygwin problems.
The problem is that Windows won't follow symlinks when executing
a program, so the bash postinstall does a copy instead of a symlink to
ensure that /bin/sh is usable even from Windows.

--
Eric Blake