Re: Trouble with <tab> key in vim (and more)

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Myles wrote:

> Hi forum,
>
> When trying to use <TAB> to complete on help items, or file loading,
> or etc, I get a ^I (ctrl-I) character instead. For example:
>
> :h h<TAB><TAB>
>
> I see
>
> :h h^I^I
>
> Also, the arrow keys don't work like they're supposed to. Like if I've
> alreads performed some : commands and then I
>
> :<UP-ARROW>
>
> I don't get recall like I should.

This is the normal vim behavior. Unless you configure vim otherwise via
``:set nocompatible,'' it behaves in a vi compatibility mode. You stick
this into your .vimrc file.

Someone must have enabled this for you in the previous Vim
installations, or else you did it so long ago that you forgot about it.

--
Meta-CVS: the working replacement for CVS that has been stable since
2002.  It versions the directory structure, symbolic links and execute