Re: Help with Berkeley DB

Manuel Tejada wrote:

> In order to learn the basic of the Sleepycat Berkeley
> DataBase recently I downloaded and installed
> libdb4.3-4.3.28-1.tar.gz  and db-4.3.28-1.tar.bz2
> using setup.exe.

To see what is in any package, type "cygcheck -l package".  Or visit the
Cygwin package page: <http://cygwin.com/packages/>

In general, a typical library consists of three packages.  "foo" is the
base package, "libfoo" contains the shared library (DLL) needed at
runtime for programs compiled with this library, and "libfoo-devel"
contains files necessary for development of things using "foo".

In the case of the BerkeleyDB packages, "db4.3" is the base package
containing documentation and misc files, "libdb4.3" contains the DLL,
and "libdb4.3-devel" contains the headers and import libraries.  Note
that "db4.3" requires "libdb4.3" so in most cases all you have to do is
select the "db4.3" package in setup.exe.  If you want to compile a
BerkeleyDB program though, you need the -devel package.

You will only confuse yourself by referring to packages by their
.tar.bz2 filename, which can be different than the package name.  In the
above I am only referring to what the package is actually called, which
is what you see in setup.exe.

Brian