Re: chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - NEW FINDINGS

----- Original Message -----
From: <FischRon.external@infineon.com>
To: <Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 4:15 AM
Subject: RE: chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - NEW FINDINGS

>> Now, there are still three mysteries.
>> The first is why having uid = 400 makes any difference for ssh.
>> As you can see, Windows doesn't care a bit about your uid,
>> nor about upper/lower cases.
>
> Windows doesn't, but maybe ssh. This (OpenSSH) is a cygwin application.
>
> Note that I installed OpenSSH long ago, before having installed cygwin.
> I can see that OpenSSH installed in its directory some cygwin stuff,
> such as mkpasswd.exe and cygwin1.dll, so I guess it has created a
> minimal "cygwin environment" to work. Maybe in this minimal
> environment, it assumed that it works for user id 400. But when I run
> it now, ssh suddenly knows that it is on a computer with a full blown
> cygwin installed, so it looks at /etc/passwd for the uid. When it is
> different, ssh thinks that the current user is not the one for whom the
> id_rsa file was generated, so it is not granted to use it.

> Could this be an explanation?

Are you saying that your ssh may use a different cygwin1.dll than the
rest of the system? If so, delete it. In fact I would recommend completely
removing the old OpenSSH stuff (you can keep the id_rsa file) and
installing the latest ssh version.

About your other problems, the hypothesis that network administrators
have altered the file permissions is quite plausible. The fact that
h:\tmp\tg.pl  is on a network drive also makes it harder to determine
what's the expected behavior.

Pierre