RE: chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - NEW FINDINGS

> [Hmm, you still haven't set your emailer to use an outgoing
> name,

I would like to, but I don't know how to do it. Actually, my colleagues
at work have the same problem, and don't know how to deal with it.

Unfortunately we are restricted in what mailer we use, and I haven't
found
yet an option in Outlook where I could define a "personal name" for my
From-field.

> and I
> still don't know how to make Thunderbird supress raw email
> addresses in
> that case.]
>
> > Well, I've upgraded now, but still same effect wrt chmod.....
> >
> > What else could I try to do?
>
> For starters, http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE.  Not to
> sound mean, but
> I will not answer any more of your emails sent directly to me
> in regards
> to cygwin questions; I will only answer emails sent to the
> list (assuming
> I have an answer).

I have replied to you because this was the reply address in your
email. I have changed the reply address to this posting manually
to go to the list. I found that other responses I get to my postings,
either set the list in the Reply-To field, or set *both* their own
and the list address into their reply-to field, so I infered that
since you had only your mail address, that you wanted to have
the reply just to your address. I will send my replies to the list
in future answers I'm receiving from you. I understand
the answers must eventually end up on the list. Sorry for not
paying attention.

> It sounds like your chmod is having problems with
> permissions, just like
> the rest of your emails to the list about installation problems have
> hinted at.  Somehow, the user id you are running as under
> cygwin does not
> have the same rights to edit a file as when you create files
> using Windows
> means, which means that somewhere in your file system
> hierarchy, there is
> a strange or restrictive permissions setting.  And if /etc/group and
> /etc/passwd don't recognize your user and group names yet,
> you are also
> going to have problems.

Plus, this behaviour must have been introduced "suddenly" overnight, as
it had worked fine before for many months.

The $HOME drive is a network drive, and overnight backups are running.
Could it be that, for example, one of these backup processes had failed,
and the administration restored some files from the backup, and that
this
restoration process ran under different user id and thus giving some
files weird permissions?

> I'm not an expert at ACLs, but a good test case that someone
> on the list
> might be able to help you debug is if you were to post a side-by-side
> example of two files, one where you can chmod and the other where you
> can't, along with the output of getfacl for those two files and
> recursively up the hierarchy for every directory that
> contains those two
> files, as well as the output of id.

OK, here we go. x is a file which fails, and y is a file which works:

~/tmp $ pwd
/cygdrive/h/tmp
~/tmp $ id
uid=400(fischron) gid=10513(Domain Users)
groups=0(root),544(Administrators),545(Users),10
513(Domain Users)
~/tmp $ ls -l x y
-rwx------+ 1 fischron Domain Users 4 Jan 19  2004 x
-rw-rw-rw-  1 fischron Domain Users 4 Jul  4 14:17 y
~/tmp $ chmod 0660 x y
chmod: changing permissions of `x': Permission denied
~/tmp $ ls -l x y
-rwx------+ 1 fischron Domain Users 4 Jan 19  2004 x
-rw-rw----  1 fischron Domain Users 4 Jul  4 14:17 y
~/tmp $ getfacl x y
# file: x
# owner: fischron
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::---
group:root:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

# file: y
# owner: fischron
# group: Domain Users
user::rw-
group::rw-
mask:rwx
other:---

# GOING ONE DIRECTORY UP

~/tmp $ cd ..
~ $ ls -ld tmp
drwx------+ 8 fischron Domain Users 0 Jul  7 09:31 tmp
~ $ pwd
/cygdrive/h
~ $ getfacl tmp
# file: tmp
# owner: fischron
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::---
group:root:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user:fischron:rwx
default:group:root:rwx
default:mask:rwx

# GOING ONE MORE UP

~ $ cd ..
/cygdrive $ ls -ld h
drwx------+ 27 fischron Domain Users 0 Jul  4 15:18 h
/cygdrive $ getfacl h
# file: h
# owner: fischron
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::---
group:root:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user:fischron:rwx
default:group:root:rwx
default:mask:rwx

# LAST ONE UP - BUT DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?
/cygdrive $ cd ..
/ $ ls -ld cygdrive
dr-xr-xr-x  10 0 root 0 Jan  1  1970 cygdrive
/ $ getfacl cygdrive
# file: cygdrive
# owner: 0 <unknown>
# group: root
user::r-x
group::r-x
other:r-x
mask:rwx
/ $

Is this the information you meant? I can't see anything erroneous in
those.

Ronald