Re: gcc: .rdata problem

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

dk@mace /artimi/firmware> grep 3.3.3 /bin/libtool
predep_objects="/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3/crtbegin.o"
postdep_objects="/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3/crtend.o"
compiler_lib_search_path="-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3
-L/usr/lib/gcc
-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3/../../.."
dk@mace /artimi/firmware>

Hey, why not extract that stuff from gcc somehow? The -print-search-dirs
output could be manipulated to give you that stuff, couldn't it?

Why wasn't this included in the specs?

There's a lot more machinery to the predeps and postdeps detection code than simply hardcoding a directory or a .o. Yes, for g++-3.4, it is that simple and could be replaced with some non-configure-based, parse-gcc--version-at-runtime code.

But it would be 3.4.4 specific. And most likely cygwin specific (I think linux has a non-empty postdeps, even with g++-3.4.4). Can you guarantee that there won't be any postdeps in 3.4.5 or 4.0?

The whole design of libtool really militates against runtime detection of system paramters; it is designed to be incorporated as part of a project's build/configure. There has even been talk -- quickly squashed by me -- of removing support for so-called "standalone libtool". So, "standalone libtool" remains but is definitely a red-headed stepchild.

Trust me, moving towards runtime detection of these parameters is not gonna happen -- it's too brittle for the majority use, which is and will remain internal configure-driven, per-project libtool scripts.

--
Chuck