RE: coreutils-5.3.0-8: lost *.exe

----Original Message----

  Well, yes; it's a serious question, although I left the point of it
somewhat implicit, for dramatic effect! :)

  That point being, "If it aint broke, don't fix it".  You asked what was
the best thing you could have done or could do in future to avoid this kind
of problem; my answer is this:

  If you aren't under some pressing and *urgent* need to upgrade a package
because you vitally need a bugfix or new feature, DON'T!  You're on a hiding
to nothing if you do; nothing to gain, because you've already got what you
want from the package; lots to lose, because sometimes upgrades are buggy.
Leave the new releases alone for a few days after they've been announced and
see if problems crop up!  The only benefit is a warm fuzzy feeling of having
the very latest version.  That's not worth risking the costs!

  I call this "DaveK's law of installation stability" :)

    cheers,
      DaveK