Re: rebaseall (temporary?) patch

At 10:33 PM 7/11/2005, Chris Faylor wrote:

>>>So, anyone who installs rebase will also need to install bash.  That
>>>seems unfortunate to me.  It means we can never deprecate ash.
>>
>>Perhaps it would make sense to have a special bash.exe installed in
>>/usr/sbin/ that is statically linked, for all dependencies other than
>>cygwin1.dll -- and THAT is the thing that /usr/bin/sh.exe is a
>>copy/symlink/hardlink/whatever of?
>
>  break;
>  break;
>  break;
>  break;
>  break;

As a recap for those who haven't been reading this entire thread and
related ones, creating a statically linked version of bash has come up
before and it didn't generate much enthusiasm (i.e. if the point is to
make sh == bash so that there is more symmetry with Linux and less
complaints as a result of sh != bash, creating a derivative of bash
to act as sh is contrary to the original goal.)  I think Chris is trying
to get out of this temporal causality loop, or in programming terms break
out of this while(1) loop...

Holliston, MA 01746