Re: popt 1.6.4-4: How to use popt in "-mno-cywin" app?

Hi, Alexey,

Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set it for
a reason.  There was no need to Cc: me -- I read the list.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> Hello Igor!
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Alexey Lyubimov wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > My configuration is:
> > >
> > > Win98SE.
> > >
> > > $ cygcheck -c | grep -e "binutils" -e "cygwin" -e "popt"
> > > binutils             20041229-1         OK
> > > cygwin               1.5.16-1           OK
> > > cygwin-doc           1.4-2              OK
> > > libpopt0             1.6.4-4            OK
> > > popt                 1.6.4-4            OK
> >
> > Not enough.  Please review <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
> > carefully, especially the part in bold that tells you to attach the
> > output of "cygcheck -svr" on your system.
>
> I know about the "cygcheck -svr" rule very well :) But I did not think
> that it would be very important in this specific case, since I did not
> ask about the cygwin's _problem_ on my PC. I asked about the proper
> _usage_ of useful tool (library) under CygWin!

Fair enough.  You did mention "gcc -mno-cygwin", though, and didn't
include the versions of the various gcc packages.

> > Why would you expect to be able to use a Cygwin library with a
> > configuration that says "no cygwin"?  Most Cygwin libraries require
> > the Cygwin DLL to work. ...
>
> I used to build small win32/console ("no-cygwin") utilities by gcc under
> CygWin from scratch.

No, you were building console applications using a MinGW cross-compiler
under Cygwin.  Those applications were compiled for MinGW.  You can't link
MinGW apps with Cygwin libraries (well, you can, but not without some
painful contortions).

If you really wanted to build a Cygwin console application, you'd need to
omit -mno-cygwin.

> And, actually, the question was: "Can I use Red Hat's popt library while
> building win32 console application under CygWin"?

You can build a console application that would depend on Cygwin.  And it
could be linked with Cygwin1.dll.  If you want to build a pure Win32
application (i.e., one without the dependence on Cygwin1.dll), you won't
be able to link Cygwin libraries into it.

To answer your question, you cannot use the Cygwin popt package for what
you want, since that provides a library dependent on Cygwin1.dll.  You can
probably build a popt library from source under MinGW (i.e., use "gcc
-mno-cygwin" to build the popt library as well) -- this had to be done for
some popular libraries, see the mingw-bzip2/mingw-libbz2_1 packages, for
example.  The popt library may need to be ported to MinGW.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/