RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> > > I did the variation with "-l -c" to recreate /etc/passwd, because
> > > "-d" would hang the shell.
> >
> > It doesn't hang, just takes very very long in large domains.  What you
> > want is "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME >> /etc/passwd".  Though I
> > believe "mkpasswd -c" already does that without the need to query the
> > domain.
>
> Do I really *need* -d? On first setup of Cygwin, the whole Domain wasn't
> searched either.

Well, you *do* need an entry for your domain user.  That's accomplished
with "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME" (which will only query the PDC for
YOURUSERNAME, not list all users).  I'm no security expert, but I think
there's enough local information that "mkpasswd -l -c" ("-c" stands for
"current user") works too (it doesn't query the PDC).

> I tried "-d" on mkgroup once (where it goes slightly faster), and it
> ended up with a group file of about 30000 entries!

Yes.  You only need the groups that your domain user belongs to.  Since
I'm not in a domain, I don't know how to get a list of those, but I'm sure
someone here will respond with this info.

Using the "-g" flag to mkgroup will query the PDC for those groups
individually, which is *much* faster.  Omitting the "-g" (or the "-u" for
mkpasswd) will query the domain for all groups (users), which is what I
wrote about below.

> > But don't do that if you have a large domain...  Unless you just want
> > to leave it to complete overnight.
>
> I don't think I want it. I just don't see what advantage it has. And,
> after all, that information is outdated the next day anyway, because
> there are continuously systems coming and going.

Huh?  The domain users/groups live on the PDC, which is one machine.
Unless you mean that users and groups are constantly added and deleted?

But you're right, if you're the only user on the machine, "mkpasswd -d" is
overkill.  "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME" isn't.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu