Re: Use Fetchmail/procmail on winxp

At 11:26 PM 7/10/2005, you wrote:
>Larry Hall <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> writes:
>
>> '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/fetchmail-6.2.5.README' state that 'procmail' is
>> configured to be called from the .fetchmailrc using the "mda" directive.
>
>Apparently you have a very different
>/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/fetchmail-6.2.5.README than I do.  Mine doesn't
>mention the word procmail at all.
>
>>>I'm just kind of blind about how to start with this.  On my linux/unix
>>>setups I always called procmail in the the sendmail.cf file.  And
>>>fetchmail knew to pass to sendmail on port 25...
>>>
>>>On my windows setups I don't know how windows gets mail; and there is
>>>no sendmail.cf invovled so that avenue is out.
>>

>> Actually, the first few lines of the fetchmail README says:
>>
>>   Fetchmail supports every remote-mail protocol currently in use on the
>>   Internet (POP2, POP3, RPOP, APOP, KPOP, all IMAPs, ESMTP ETRN, IPv6,
>>   and IPSEC) for retrieval. Then Fetchmail forwards the mail through SMTP
>>   so you can read it through your favorite mail client.
>>
>> Maybe you should just try what Jason suggests in the README and then
>> report any problems you see.
>
>Again apparently your version is different.  I don't see any
>suggestion made here.
>
>This is the closest I guess:
>
>  Fetchmail is a free, full-featured, robust, well-documented remote
>  mail retrieval and forwarding utility intended to be used over
>  on-demand TCP/IP links (such as SLIP or PPP connections).  It
>  retrieves mail from remote mail servers and forwards it to your local
>  (client) machine's delivery system, so it can then be be read by
>  normal mail user agents such as elm(1) or Mail(1).

You're looking at '/usr/share/doc/fetchmail-6.2.5/README'.
Jason and I pointed you at '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/fetchmail-6.2.5.README'.
That's the *Cygwin* specific version of the README.

Nope.  You were right the first time.  See <http://www.cygwin.com/>.

>> figure out how to integrate this with some Windows email client (was it
>> Outlook you mentioned?),
>
>No, as explained in my first post, it was emacs mail/news reader `Gnus'.

OK, it seems like this is possible to do but I have no experience with
emacs mail/news reader.  You might try googling around for how to make
this work with fetchmail/procmail in Cygwin.

Holliston, MA 01746