Re: Use Fetchmail/procmail on winxp

Larry Hall <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> writes:

> '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/fetchmail-6.2.5.README' state that 'procmail' is
> configured to be called from the .fetchmailrc using the "mda" directive.

Apparently you have a very different
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/fetchmail-6.2.5.README than I do.  Mine doesn't
mention the word procmail at all.

>>I'm just kind of blind about how to start with this.  On my linux/unix
>>setups I always called procmail in the the sendmail.cf file.  And
>>fetchmail knew to pass to sendmail on port 25...
>>
>>On my windows setups I don't know how windows gets mail; and there is
>>no sendmail.cf invovled so that avenue is out.
>

> Actually, the first few lines of the fetchmail README says:
>
>   Fetchmail supports every remote-mail protocol currently in use on the
>   Internet (POP2, POP3, RPOP, APOP, KPOP, all IMAPs, ESMTP ETRN, IPv6,
>   and IPSEC) for retrieval. Then Fetchmail forwards the mail through SMTP
>   so you can read it through your favorite mail client.
>
> Maybe you should just try what Jason suggests in the README and then
> report any problems you see.

Again apparently your version is different.  I don't see any
suggestion made here.

This is the closest I guess:

  Fetchmail is a free, full-featured, robust, well-documented remote
  mail retrieval and forwarding utility intended to be used over
  on-demand TCP/IP links (such as SLIP or PPP connections).  It
  retrieves mail from remote mail servers and forwards it to your local
  (client) machine's delivery system, so it can then be be read by
  normal mail user agents such as elm(1) or Mail(1).

And neither SLIP or PPP are involved here.  Its not at all clear since
nothing like an actual example is in my README.  Like where fetchmail
will deliver to or whatever.  Or what the `mda' directive might be.
Its not mentioned at all here in my Fetchamail-6.2.5 README.

>> I didn't find a single word in either document that was about how to
>> make these tools work on windows.

> Right.  They don't say squat about how to set these up on Windows.  They
> tell you how to use them for Cygwin.  If you're looking for the piece to

Ok, I've really missed the ball here.  I was under the notion that
cygwin itself was designed to work with windows.  I didn't realize it
was a stand alone OS.  I was looking for a way to use unix tools on
windows since I'm far more familiar with unix but have need of using
windows.

> figure out how to integrate this with some Windows email client (was it
> Outlook you mentioned?),

No, as explained in my first post, it was emacs mail/news reader `Gnus'.

But maybe I should be looking at David Korns Uwin tools that are
designed to work with windows.

Thanks.