Re: exim and imap3d

Wes S wrote:

> I've spent most of saturday trying to get exim and imap3d to work.
> By inserting a bunch of echo "some thing" statements in the exim-conf
> file, I figured out where the config script was bombing on me.  So
> exim seems to be working a-ok.  At least it sends and I can get pine
> to read my /var/spool/mail/(user).
>
> However, I'd like to use a windows mail program so I need to get
> imap3d to work.
>
> Using filemon from www.sysinternals.com (tip found searching this
> list archives), I figured out that ipop3d is looking for mail in
> /var/mail/(user).  Let me verify, create directories, copy a user to
> /var/mail and try getting mail via ipop3d.  Works!  So ipop3d works,
> my settings in mozzila work, I got inetd working, yada yada.
>
> Well, obviously I need to tell exim to put mail somewhere else so I
> changed the exim.conf file to use what ipop3d wanted.  I rebooted the
> pc rather than send HUP to exim, figured had the same effect.
>
> So in exim.conf I changed this:
>
> local_delivery:
>   driver = appendfile
>   file = /var/mail/$local_part
>
> Now I get 2005-07-09 21:27:41 IJDXRD-0001D4-AT == wess@wess.mdns.org
> R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: creating
> lock file hitching post
[snip]

Permission denied is the clue here, you should have read the comments above the
part of exim's configuration you changed.  Copy the permissions of the original
spool directory (/var/spool/mail/) to the one you made (/var/mail):

   chmod --reference=/var/spool/mail /var/mail
   chown --reference=/var/spool/mail /var/mail

That should do it.
--
René Berber