exim and imap3d

I've spent most of saturday trying to get exim and imap3d to work.
By inserting a bunch of echo "some thing" statements in the exim-conf
file, I figured out where the config script was bombing on me.  So
exim seems to be working a-ok.  At least it sends and I can get pine
to read my /var/spool/mail/(user).

However, I'd like to use a windows mail program so I need to get
imap3d to work.

Using filemon from www.sysinternals.com (tip found searching this
list archives), I figured out that ipop3d is looking for mail in
/var/mail/(user).  Let me verify, create directories, copy a user to
/var/mail and try getting mail via ipop3d.  Works!  So ipop3d works,
my settings in mozzila work, I got inetd working, yada yada.

Well, obviously I need to tell exim to put mail somewhere else so I
changed the exim.conf file to use what ipop3d wanted.  I rebooted the
pc rather than send HUP to exim, figured had the same effect.

So in exim.conf I changed this:

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  file = /var/mail/$local_part

Now I get 2005-07-09 21:27:41 IJDXRD-0001D4-AT == wess@wess.mdns.org
R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: creating
lock file hitching post
/var/mail/wess.lock.wess.mdns.org.42d0798d.000007d4 (euid=1000
egid=513)

Nothing happening in /var/mail/(user) or /var/spool/mail/(user), no
mail delivered.

Anyone have some clues for me?

Cygwin version is everything updated w/in last 24 hrs, I did the
install all packages thing.  I've been fighting this since 7:00 AM
Saturday morning.  Also tried building qpopper but I get this:

$ make
cd ./popper  && make all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/qpopper4.0.3/popper'
gcc -c -I.. -I.. -I. \
        -I../mmangle -I../common  \
        -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -DUNIX pop_dropcopy.c -o
pop_dropcopy.o
In file included from /usr/include/unistd.h:4,
                 from pop_dropcopy.c:172:
/usr/include/sys/unistd.h:129: error: parse error before numeric
constant
make[1]: *** [pop_dropcopy.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/qpopper4.0.3/popper'
make: *** [popper_server] Error 2

Thanks,

Wes