Re: Unwanted .exe appended to symlinks

The reason mentioned in the previous posting for re-creating symlinks is
that periodically (after several updates) I run through all 3000 of them
re-creating them; that way I can be sure they are all Windows +R *.lnk
files rather than Windows +S files, which can't be guaranteed to copy
properly to other media. So, I wonder, has an unwanted trailing .exe
been incorporated in other contexts than that described in the previous
post?
Not that I can see. No problems with (say)
	ln -s oldname extraname
where oldname is a textfile. Also, in other cases where oldname really
is an executable, extraname does not seem to have the trailing .exe.
There must be something special about doing this with a drivename.
Can any expert confirm whether I ought to look elsewhere for this
strange appendix?
I admit it's my fault for meddling but it's not that daft an activity to
have pursued, and certainly
	ln -s /cygdrive/c /c
must be a fairly common solution to an annoying problem (that of having
to write a lot).
Fergus