bash not noticing when child done

I've upgraded my cygwin and bash yesterday.

I'm puzzled by what I see and every attempt I've made at generating a
smaller test case has failed.

Anyway, one script prints a message that it's about to call another
script. On return from the script, another message is printed. The called
script notices certain files are not present, then prints a message to
that effect and exits with an error code.

But, the message 2nd message on the calling script never prints and I'm
just stumped. All I can think is that bash is unaware that the script
exited or terminated.

A portion of the calling script: uptime2xls

echo "$me($$): `date` start rtf2uptime"
rtf2uptime
#raw24csv2xls
echo "$me($$): `date` remove any left over raw24 csv files"

A portion of the rtf2uptime script:

FILES="`ls *rtf 2>/dev/null`"
if [ -z "$FILES" ]; then
    echo "No .rtf files found"
    exit 1
fi

The output I see:

uptime2xls(2120): Fri Jul  8 09:39:19 EDT 2005 start rtf2uptime
No .rtf files found

Note that the "remove any left over raw24 ..." message does not print.

--
Ken Shaffer

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.