Re: FAQ request

> From: Christopher Faylor
> Date: 2005/07/07 Thu PM 09:46:10 EDT
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: FAQ request
>
> Could we split the "Why is your package so out of date?" question out of
> the "Why isn't package XXXX available in Cygwin?" and add something like
> the below?
>
> cgf
>
> Q) Why is your package XYZ so out of date?
>
> Q) Why is the version of package XYZ older than the version that
> I can download from the XYZ web site?
>
> Q) Why is the version of package XYZ older than the version that
> I installed on my linux system?
>
> Q) Is there something special about Cygwin which requires that only an
> older version of package XYZ will work on it?
>
> Every package in the Cygwin distribution has a maintainer who is
> responsible for sending out updates of the package.  This person is a
> volunteer who is rarely the same person as the official developer of the
> package.  If you notice that a version of a package seems to be out of
> date, the reason is usually pretty simple -- the person who is
> maintaining the package hasn't gotten around to updating it yet.
>
> If you urgently need an update, sending a polite message to the cygwin
> mailing list pinging the maintainer is perfectly acceptable.  There are
> no guarantees that the maintainer will have time to update the package
> or that you'll receive a response to your request, however.
>
> Remeber that the operative term here is "volunteer".

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the info. As I said in my question, I'm not the libtiff developer. But since I use both libtiff and cygwin I am quite willing to help out in the advancement of both.

Who is the libtiff maintainer for cygwin? Or better yet, is there a list of package maintainers that we can search?

Thanks,
Thom

OBTW, I *was* trying to be polite in my phrasing. Sorry if it didn't come out sounding that way.